Where Urban Meets Rural
Explore Our Advantages
Whether you wish to join a committee or simply attend a meeting, this page will help you get the information you need.
On this Page:
- Appointment to 2010 - 2014 Term Boards and Committee
- The Length of Term
- How are members appointed?
- How do I join?
- What Committees exist currently?
- When do the Committees meet?
- Meeting Minutes
- General Contacts for Committees
Members have been appointed by Council for the 2010-2014 Term. To view the membership of each Committee, please visit their webpage.
How are Committees formed?
The decision to form a committee is generated from one of two sources; they are born of specific pieces of legislation, or out of community interest.
In order to form a committee, Council must pass a by-law to bring that committee into existence. Members must be appointed to the committee from the general public; with one representative from Council on each committee.
The Municipal Act gives Council the authority to establish boards and committees to examine issues that are of interest to Council and to the community provided that the area of interest falls within the jurisdiction of the municipality.
Created From Legislation
Various provincial Acts call for the creation of certain boards and committees. For example, the formation of the Committee of Adjustment is authorized under the Planning Act, R.S.0. 1990, and the formation of the Public Library Board is authorized in the Public Libraries Act, R.S.0. 1990.
The term of committee membership corresponds with the term of the Council that appointed it. In other words, every four years, following the election of a new Township Council, committee members must be re-appointed. Membership on the board or committee may change or stay the same dependent upon the interest of the members and the decision of Council.
There is no limit to the number of terms committee members may serve. Committee members are at liberty to resign from a committee any time.
At the beginning of each term of Council advertisements are placed in local newspapers to notify the public that it is seeking members for various committees. Potential members are urged to apply in writing to the Clerk. Applications are considered and a by-law is passed appointing successful candidates to the committees.
Should a committee seat become vacant during a term, the vacancy will be advertised and letters of interest requested from potential members. The new member will be chosen and appointed to the committee via by-law.
At the beginning of December following an election, submit a letter of interest to the Clerk regarding the Committee you wish to join. Applicants must be 18 years of age or older and must be a resident of or property owner in the Township. Letters of interest must contain a contact telephone number and mailing address. If you see a committee vacancy advertised mid-term, you can apply to fill that vacancy using the same process.
Currently in the Township there are 11 boards or committees in existence.
Each committee has their own webpage which describes their purpose, lists their membership and contains a link to a Calendar that states their next meeting time and location. Click on any of the following boards and committees to see their webpage.
- Bellamy Park Management Board
- Economic Development Committee
- Environmental and Conservation Advisory Committee
- Fire Services Liaison Committee
- Heritage Elizabethtown-Kitley
- Planning Advisory Committee
- Property Standards Committee
- Public Library Board
- Public Works Committee of the Whole
- Recreation Committee of the Whole
- Waste Site Management Committee
- Zoning By-law Steering Committee
Each Committee sets their own meeting schedule, which they are at liberty to vary from month to month. To determine the next meeting, click here to consult the calendar.
Generally speaking the Committees follow this schedule:
- Bellamy Park Management Board 1st Thursday at 2:00 p.m. at the Toledo Municipal Office
- Economic Development 2nd Tues. 5:15 p.m. New Dublin Council Chambers
- Committee of Adjustment 4th Thurs. 4 p.m. New Dublin Chambers
- Public Library Board 3rd Wednesday at 7 p.m. Spring Valley Library
- Recreation Committee of the Whole3rd Monday at 6:30 p.m. New Dublin Council Chambers
- Planning Advisory 3rd Thursday at 4 p.m. New Dublin Council Chambers
- Public Works / Waste Management Committee of the Whole 1st Monday 6:30 p.m. New Dublin Council Chambers
- Heritage Elizabethtown-Kitley 4th Thurs. 5 p.m. New Dublin Council Chambers or Board Room
Council and Committee minutes for the past three years are available at the Township's Virtual Library. To view the minutes, click this link to visit the Virtual Library.
For all general questions regarding the committee process, please contact the Clerk's Office at 6544 New Dublin Rd, RR 2, Addison, ON K0E 1A0.
613-3457480 or 1-800-492-3175 (within the 613 area code)