Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

On This Page - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about: 

Animal Control

Does my dog require a dog tag?

All dogs in the Township are required to have dog tags unless otherwise indicated in the Dog By-Law.  Tags must be purchased annually. For more information please visit the Animal Control Page by clicking here.

What about cats?

The Township of Elizabethtown-Kitley does not currently license cats. The Animal Control Officer and the By-law Enforcement Officer do not impound stray cats; additionally Riverdale Kennels does not accept cats on behalf of the Township.

Is there an Animal Control By-Law?

The By-law 02-23 of the Township of Elizabethtown-Kitley established the regulations for the Township with regard to dogs and kennels. 

To view this By-law and learn more about the offences for which dogs may be impounded and their owners fined please visit our Animal Control Page by clicking here.

Building Permits

Do I require a Building Permit?

Building Permits are required if you intend to erect any structure on your property that is larger than 100 square feet.

For more information regarding permits, fees, application forms and guides please visit the Building Department Page by clicking here.

Fire Department

How can I apply to be a volunteer firefighter?

An application is available online at the Township's website. Click here to download. Or you can pick up an application at the Fire Administration Office located at Station No. 1, 44 Main Street East, Lyn.

What qualifications do I need to become a volunteer firefighter?

The minimum qualifications require Grade 12 education or equivalent, 19 years of age and a G2 driver's licence.  To learn more about becoming a volunteer firefighter click here.

To learn more: Visit the Fire Department section of the website by clicking here.

Garbage Collection

Does the Township offer garbage collection?

Yes but only for the residents in the northern portion of the Township (former Kitley Township).  A waste collection levy will be applied to the tax account of houses receiving garbage pick-up. This levy represents the actual cost for waste and recycling pick-up (collection). The cost for tipping (disposal) is recovered through the sale of tags.

Who picks up garbage in the south end?

There are several companies in the area that residents can hire for their garbage collection.  Some of these companies advertise under Rubbish Removal in the Yellow Pages of your local phone book.

For more information on garbage collection please click here.


Employment Opportunities

For current positions open please visit the Employment Opportunities page by clicking here.


Does the Township have a Library?

Yes.  There are three Library Branches to serve residents.  For more information about our Libraries please click here.


Recycling is available free of charge at the Township's Waste Disposal Site.  For more information please click here.

Recreation Department

Does the Township offer Soccer and Baseball programs?

The Township works in collaboration with various minor sports organizations to offer recreational programming. Each minor sport association is responsible for all registration and scheduling.  Greenbush Minor Ball Association, Kitley Minor Ball Association, Lyn Minor Ball Association and Kitley Minor Soccer Association operate independently.  The boards of directors for each of these organizations change annually.  Contact numbers for each of the minor sports can be obtained through the Township's Main Administration Office at 613-345-7480 or 1-800-492-3175.

Does the Township offer adult soccer or baseball programs?


Does the Township offer swim programs?

Yes, the Township does offer swim programs at the Lyn Valley Conservation Area & Bellamy Park.  For more information on the swimming program, click here.

Does the Township have Recreation Grounds for special events?

Yes the Township baseball diamonds are routinely rented for tournaments. The Township of Elizabethtown-Kitley Rows Corners Fairgrounds are also available to rent for various special events.  The Recreation Coordinator is responsible for booking recreation grounds.  To speak the the Recreation Coordinator call 613-345-7480 or 1-800-492-3175 or email .  To learn more about our facilities, click here.


Are severances permitted?

Yes.  The County of Leeds & Grenville Land Division Committee is the approval body for both severances and plans of subdivisions. Procedures related to both severances and plans of subdivision processes are outlined in the Planning Act and related regulations.

To permit a severance it must meet all the policies and requirements of the Township’s Official Plan, Zoning By-law and related provincial policy and other regulations.

What is the severance process and associated fees?

Prior to formally applying for a severance, it is recommended that you discuss your proposed application with the Township's Planning Staff.  Please consult with Township's Planning Staff on how to proceed.

To view in detail information regarding the severance process and associated fees please visit the Severance Page by clicking here.


How often are we billed?

Taxes are billed twice a year. The first billing, called the Interim Bill, is sent out in February with a due date in March. The interim bill represents 50% of your previous year's taxes. The Final Billing is mailed out in late spring or summer of each year. Unlike the Interim billing the final bill consists of two installments (two separate due dates). The final bill reflects any change in the tax rate.

For more information and more frequently asked questions regarding taxes please visit the Finance and Taxes page by clicking here.


Township of Elizabethtown-Kitley, 6544 New Dublin Rd, RR 2  Addison, ON, K0E 1A0
Tel. 613-345-7480 or 1-800-492-3175, Fax. 613-345-7235, Email:
Office Hours: Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m.

Powered by CivicWeb CMS - © Copyright 2014 iCompass Technologies Inc.